Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pseudo-Newb Designing Visual Learning Aides




I was kind of surprised that no one had a flowchart for turns and phases readily available on the web when @natasha_lh asked for one for a new/learning player- I've posted it here because the one I put on Twitter is really tiny- but the actual piece is the same size as a magic card so that it can be sleeved up and kept to the side during a game.


I want to futz around with the typography for maximum readability but it was designed with the learning objective being turn flow and the functional objective of running down vertically so they didn't have to forget steps.

I like the color choices but I will most likely change the background color and experiment with increasing the breakout font size without disrupting the Instructional design of the step grouping - this is my competitive journal, I don't usually make it public but everyone can feel free to take this graphic if they'd like to.



3 comments:

  1. It's nice, but I think there should be some notes on the upkeep and end step, such as triggers and being able to cast instants. Even if new players don't utilize those steps, experienced players they play with will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. Doing this has made me wonder if I should design an series of "flowchart" cards for quick reference so that they can stay out during a game - Trigger flow would be it's own card for instance so that different players or learners could just use the card they needed for their weak points.

    I'll see if I can add the specifics about triggers and instants without distracting from the function of just being "reminder based learning tool" or if it needs a separate instructional design.

    ReplyDelete