Friday, August 24, 2012

Pseudo Newb and the Quick Ninjitsu Learning Curve Note

Hi Blog,

I'm playing Planechase like a boxed set we have all 4 precons and it ends up being a great way for my family to play Magic with me.


Also a great way to see card mechanics from sets gone by and be continously humbled by what I don't know now that I'm 10 months in to the learning curve.

Ninjitsu means you have an attacking unblocked creature and you pay the ninjitsu cost and your ninja switches places with that creature- that creature comes back into your hand. You may only use that if the ninja is already in your hand.

Here's the bit I'm not sure about because of when on the stack things happen. If I attack with say a Tormented soul - he's unblocked 1/1 and then the ninja comes in for 2/2 do they both have their damage resolved off the stack because blockers have already been declared or is it just the ninja damage?

I've been playing it as just the ninja damage while on vacation with my family but really I'm just not sure and haven't had time to look it up ( I assume the question has come up). I'm writing it down here because it's important to note when I'm still unsure of rules in play. It's also important to note that I can be this unsure of rules in play after 11 months.

I went to GenCon last week, I had some really good discussions with Aaron Forsythe about coaches and coaching and non-EV based Organized Play and he brought up some assumptions about longevity of learning curve and eventual mastery that made me think about coaching that scaled up to the pro level. I spoke with Jackie Lee about something similar ( for very different reasons) and it's making me expand my concepts of pro and non-pro interaction.

No time to write really, the Internet cuts in and out where I am, but leaving this here so I can follow up.

Also I'm finishing up the wrap up for Avacyn Restored art review - I think I found the moral balance after discussing it at GenCon. It's interesting to me how much playing Magic makes me look closely at moral and ethical values in and out of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment