Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pseudo Newb and the First RtR Draft

They needed people to make sanctioning level today at draft - I'm on a call list and I know exactly why they're having trouble - because it's finals week for projects and starting tomorrow is the finals for tests for some of the classes.

I've been trying to get to a draft for sometime, but I've actually gotten to do very little drafting since Avacyn Restored. I've been playing a lot of sealed and my record was improving and I drafted some through Magic Core Set 2013 which was much better for me than the Avacyn Restored limited environment, but honestly I felt like I was barely understanding the synergies in sealled and standard and draft is a different beast.

So for the first time every I went knowing that I was going to have to drop, because I have a final tomorrow at 8am but I did the absolute worst thing I could possibly do before a draft- about 3 .5 hours of algebra.

There was a section that hit me really hard in the LD involving graphing, so by the time I got to draft I was really burned out. While I knew I was having the cognitive dissonance reactions and vertigo what I hadn't realzed is fighting through it kind of tabled it and it (the vertigo ) kind of washed over me like it had been building up all evening.

So I opened pack 1 got an Angel of Serenity in pack one and some other white put me in either green/white, mono white or white blue.

I went 0-2 for both rounds before  I dropped.

The first round Frank and I played each other and we both mulled down to 5. We were playing almost the exact mirror but he had a Martial Law I had passed on to tap down the AngelI felt better about the Sundering Growths I had picked for sideboarding.

The second round I was manna screwed at the beginning but I just tried to make the best of it but the reality was my mind was compelelty on the final tomorrow. I'll have to review the build when I'm done with all this.

I also got a call of the conclave, a fencing artist, and an epic experiment and my LGS members got their planeswalker points but I'm going to have to catch up with the drafting strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment